Sunday, August 13, 2017

Sympathy Note

Trigger warning: learning styles will be mentioned.

I don't mean to mock trigger warnings or learning styles. I have colleagues who lose their mind at the mention of learning styles, because of the lack of research. And we've all seen people flip their lid at trigger warnings. (How do you warn them?) I like to think about learning styles as a framework that teachers use to make sense of what they see. And to think about what they might do in response.

I love to read, but don't have as much time for fun reading as I like. One benefit of driving to Twitter Math Camp (about 12 hours each way) was the chance to listen to a few books. I mostly read mysteries and science fiction or fantasy. On the way home, I listened to a Hieronymous Bosch mystery by Michael Connelly, usually quite good. This one was read by the actor who plays Bosch in the streaming series (thumbs up for that, too), so it was an interesting experience. I was using the Libby app, which connects to public libraries and was overall great. Through Libby you can search catalogs and make requests, and I requested the next book.

Turns out, I requested an audiobook. I don't have time to listen to a book... but, I had it, Titus Welliver (the actor) ... okay. I'm listening to it. But I have to be doing something else at the same time. I've never been able to just sit and listen. In school I was a doodler. For which I, and then later my kids, received plenty of disapproval from teachers. (Until grad school, when profs wanted copies of my notes!)

Reading a text, I have great recall and comprehension for names, plot, etc. I notice small details. I concoct theories. Listening... I'm still enjoying it. But will suddenly be 'wait, what?' The interface is handy, but it's been hard to back up. Whereas in a text, it's easy. I'm not following as well. Reading I can visualize the action like my own movie. Listening... not so much. "Wait, what?"

Is it a learning style? Am I a visual learner? Textual? Is that a thing? Inexperience vs experience? I don't know.

What I do know, is I'm committed to is remembering to say and write important points for my students. For having learning opportunities in a variety of modes, including motion.

Now I've got to get back. The bad guys have Bosch and the doctor cornered in the doc's office after hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment