So if I missed the chat, how did I know it was a good one? There's the wiki archive, but also this time Bon Crowder (@mathfour) used Evernote to record and share the TweetChat record. Slick. It was good enough that I wanted to organize the list, which led me to figure to Tumbl it, but it turned into a blogpost when I realized the extent of the chat and that I had never blogged about mathchat before.
One thing that does not come across in this reorganized list is the conversational aspect. In Twitter you can click on a tweet and see all the previous tweets in that specific conversation.
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: you're either an applied person or a pure math person. Bleh
- mathheadinc Misconception: Students below 10th grade can't be in college algebra, calculus...
- daveinstpaul Misconception: People with "math brains" learn math effortlessly.
- LinaSouid misconception: Math teachers only know/care/love math.
- LinaSouid misconception: Girls aren't good at math. Girls don't make good engineers.
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: it's ok to say "I'm so dumb at math. I'm not just not a math person." especially for kids
- delta_dc misconception: "I'm not good at math." form many of my preservice elementary teachers.
- LinaSouid A majority of elem teachers at my school hated math. Spread it to all their students like a disease.
- daveinstpaul If I have to pick just one misconception, it has to be "I'm not good at math."
- MrHonner For me, this S misconception: "I'm good at math, so it's not important to work hard to become a better writer."
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: math is math class and homework should look like homework
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: you really need to know algebra for the real world.
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: practice is the best way to get better. (personal experience actually is)
- LinaSouid #mathchat misconception: Math teachers know how to solve every problem, ever!
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: you have to play the role of "teacher" to get class to work.
- TenMarks Misconception: Memorization is the only way to learn math. (I'm looking at you, multiplication tables!)
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: "they" write the problems. I just answer them. Can we tell what "they're" asking?
- @lostinrecursion must change misconception: "there are problems I need to solve. I need someone to show me how to do that." - Salman Khan!
- @lostinrecursion #mathchat must realize: math is made by humans like the ones in the classroom. So let's make math.
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: stick to the book or you're in trouble (aka I don't trust you)
- delta_dc Many of the misconceptions in math are result of learners trying to make sense w/o understanding. @graceachen has 2 nice posts.
- LinaSouid misconception:" With a graphing calculator I can do anything"--especially from over confident high school students.
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: you need the teacher to learn math. You need school to learn math.
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: texting in class is bad. (I'm in field theory class enjoying this much more)
- rvdemerchant misconception: there is an old math and a new math.
- rvdemerchant old/new math? Did the old math think concept. understanding was bad? New math think procedural understanding bad? Nope
- delta_dc misconception: memorizing multiplication table will make one better at math. A lot of parents of MS kids say this.
- MrHonner I think the primary teaching misconception is "There is 1 right way to solve this problem."
- cheesemonkeysf IMHO this is also the primary TESTING misconception!
- MrHonner It is related to this misconception: "It is wrong for the teacher to admit they don't know something".
- LinaSouid I don't know when math teachers (20 years ago) learned that part of their job was to be socially inept
- mathheadinc Probably when they themselves were humiliated, probably at an early age. Vicious cycle
- ColinTGraham For me, if it was only one chance... I would want to change the idea that mathematics is about doing calculations.
- MariaDroujkova Clear one misconceptions! math=arithmetic
- ekendriss Misconception I'd like to clear: Statistics = boring.
- MrHonner Major Math Misconception: There's only one right way to solve this problem. ColinTGraham Or: there *is* a right way....
- msnorthrup Luckily this is fading with elem tchrs RT @MrHonner the primary tchg misconception is "There's one right way to solve a problem"
- MrHonner Misconception: The most important thing is math is whether your answer is right or wrong
- MrHonner Student Misconception: "If I try something and it didn't work, I've done something wrong."
- shawn_ny That it lacks creativity.
- delta_dc Misconception - being fast at math means being good at math.
- LinaSouid misconception: You need to know how to prove something to use it and understand it.
- LinaSouid: misconception: You can't guess.
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: go with your first instinct. Your second is wrong (aka don't trust yourself)
- delta_dc Misconception - math is only worthwhile if it applies to real world.
- OoeyGooeyLady That u can "like" it but still struggle at it. I didn't need it 2 be easy. Just wanted to have chance to try!!
- LinaSouid So true. People focus on perfection. Another misconception!
- daveinstpaul Misconceptions: y is always a function of x. 0^0 cannot be consistently defined. √4 has two values. Everyone should take algebra.
- daveinstpaul 4 has two square roots, which are denoted √4 and -√4. By itself √4 indicates the positive square root.
- ColinTGraham By convention = accepted academic 'whatever'
- lostinrecursion must change misconception: fractions are wrong if they're not reduced.
- mathheadinc Misconception: This is not how to write a fraction (1 1/2)/4
- daveinstpaul Oh, another misconception: All polygons are convex.
- MathMatters2Me Misconception: radicals can never be left in the denominator
- MathMatters2Me Misconception: Asymptotes are lines a graph approaches but never touches
- MrHonner For purely math misconceptions, nothing beats sqrt(a^2 + b^2) = a + b.
- msnorthrup As a 5th grade teacher - the misconception that "You can't take a big number from a small number" is rampant and problematic
- daveinstpaul Misconception: When proving a trigonometric identity, you must work with one side of the equation at a time.
- MrCHRISatCSI You don't have to carry a one!
|Is Google cooking the books?|
- LinaSouid Misconceptions will be resolved when math teachers are friendly, social, good role models
- ColinTGraham "friendly, social, good role models" depends very much on how people arrive at teaching mathematics...
- MariaDroujkova I am making a poster of today's #mathchat about misconceptions. So much concentrated math ed genius! You rock, #mathchat people!
- MrHonner We need to remind ALL teachers that they teach kids, not math.
Photo credit: bfishshadow, petesimon @ Flickr